Brian Roberts

Uli2001

I don't know about you, but it brings me a warm feeling to see the resurgence of Brian Roberts. Many said he was done, many mocked him. To many, he represented the Orioles losing past. And now he gets a chance to prove them wrong and be a real contributor to a playoff push, after being on so many bad teams with the Orioles. Seeing him bash out there is like a blast from the past.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know about you, but it brings me a warm feeling to see the resurgence of Brian Roberts. Many said he was done, many mocked him. To many, he represented the Orioles losing past. And now he gets a chance to prove them wrong and be a real contributor to a playoff push, after being on so many bad teams with the Orioles. Seeing him bash out there is like a blast from the past.

I am glad for him. Glad for the team. Hope this year works out for everyone.

I see no reason not try and re-sign him for next season -- maybe the next two seasons -- on an incentive-laden contract. Schoop doesn't seem ready and there is no other good alternative solution for 2B. If another team wants to pay a lot of money or give Roberts 3 years then so be it, but I doubt there is any other team willing to risk it.

If he keeps playing like this he will make it very tough on the FO not to.

You mean basically replacement level?

Yes Roberts is hitting very well with RISP (.455). He also has a 680 OPS overall with unimpressive defense.

It is nice to see that he isn't hurting the team like he did last season but the idea of a two year contract is insane.

Also, you claimed "many" posters were mocking Roberts, I would like to see some examples.

Yes Roberts is hitting very well with RISP (.455). He also has a 680 OPS overall with unimpressive defense.

It is nice to see that he isn't hurting the team like he did last season but the idea of a two year contract is insane.

Also, you claimed "many" posters were mocking Roberts, I would like to see some examples.

What he said.

Really CoC? Just pull up the Brian Roberts Effect of losing thread.

That would be impossible for him to answer.

I think Brian clearly has gas left in the tank. He's as disciplined as ever up there at the plate- his 9.4 BB% and 14.1 K% are right in line with his 9.9 and 13.3 career numbers. He's being hurt by a BABIP down to .280 from his career .312 number, which IMO is more than just losing a bit on the wheels. You add in a few more singles and doubles that fall with some better luck and his batting line is going to look alot better.

He doesn't steal bases anymore but he's still a smart baserunner. His defense at 2B is no longer a huge asset but also certainly not a liability. His discipline at the plate is just so refreshing. It's something our team sorely lacks. I think even next year he's a better option than Flaherty or Casilla. Schoop's injury this year was really unfortunate and he will certainly need more time at AAA before a callup, but it opened the door for Brian, and he has responded.

We're not going to be spending any real money on 2B next year with a decent cheap backup in Flaherty and Schoop in AAA. We're not going to cash in trade chips on a 2B either for the same reason. It's either going to be a 1 year deal for a FA or internal options. Does anybody on this FA list interest you on a 1 year deal more than Roberts? (Excluding Cano and Infante, who will demand multi-year contracts).

Yuniesky Betancourt (32)

Jamey Carroll (40)

Mark Ellis (37)

Kelly Johnson (32)

Nick Punto (36)

Ramon Santiago (34)

Skip Schumaker (34)

Kelly Johnson and Mark Ellis are the only players that I think you can say are definitely better, and Johnson will probably get paid more than we want to spend and Ellis is even older than Roberts.

I think we are going to end up signing Roberts to a 1 year deal around $2 million, maybe with some incentives. And I think that's the right call.

I'd have no problem with them giving Roberts a 1/3.5 deal. Even if they included a option that kicked in if he gets a certain amount of AB. If Schoop wins the job in ST, you have a nice bench player and a guy that can DH.

Except that Buck won't use him as a bench player. If Roberts gets a ML deal from the O's he will be the opening day second baseman if healthy.

Not being critical of, mocking.

There is a difference.

Also the OP stated "Many" so the rare crackpot poster that thinks concussions are funny is not going to be sufficient.

There were "many" examples. Said thread (thanks xKHx) but also rhetorical bets on over and under games he would be able to play, who would be on the DL first, he or Reimold, etc. I think I am justified in saying "many".

Archived